Friday, September 14, 2012

Where ever I go, I always miss the trees.

And now, for my favorite part of Italy: Tuscany.
As the days go by, I am getting used to living in a city. Cars aren't beeping at me as much and I have less of a fear to cross the street. Every corner doesn't look the same anymore, although it is still weird that I can walk to the supermarket before class and buy a single apple because I can just stop by on the way home, too. I am even getting used to the cigarette smoke-there are no designated smoking areas in Europe. The entire air is a designated smoking area. Smoke has been blown into my face more than once since I first arrived in London. I am not a fan. But I do have to say, that is the only thing I dislike about Europe so far. That and paying for public toilets.

Do I have a point? Yes. I didn't realize how much I missed wide open spaces, pure oxygen and green scenery until we arrived in Tuscany. We booked our tour and they provided a van to the vineyards for us. The ride up was breathtaking, and every mile away from the city was a mile my whole body relaxed a little. My entire self rejoiced when we pulled up to the little house on the hill and my feet hit dirt. There were skinny little dogs running around everywhere, and horses were tied up to a rickety wooden fence-the horses we were about to ride. The entire experience didn't feel like a tourist excursion at all. The house was so charming, rustic and real. It looked like someone really lived there (they probably did), waking up every morning to the sun over the vineyards and throwing open the window. There was a dark wooden beam ceiling, scratched paint on the walls, bright tablecloths, and massive paintings, wild and imperfect, of horses. I was craving some natural peace, I realized as I looked out the window over the vista.

  I was given "Banji," a deep brown horse who did not like me one bit. Every time we walked by trees, he walked so he was free and clear and I was smacked in the face with branches. He also ate everything and fell asleep before we left. Typical. Despite that, horseback riding through Tuscany vineyards was one of the most amazing things I have done in my lifetime. The landscape rolled out around me, and soft, flourishing trees extended as far as the eye could see. A little Border collie mix trotted faithfully alongside our little party (only five of us!) and the grapes on the vine looked really fat and purple. All you could hear were horse's hooves and leather saddles creaking. Patches of light brown and green crisscrossed over the hills, man-made patterns that complemented God's beauty. It was bright and sunny, but not too hot, as we moved in and out of the shade. All I did was lean back in the saddle and pretend I was never leaving the hills of Tuscany.


No comments:

Post a Comment