Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ciao Bella!

Hello, beautiful chorused through the air as we made our way through the street market in Florence, or Firenze. The vendors were pouncing on us, speaking English before we even opened our mouths. One of them told me that something like 60% of their customers are American. We spent a while getting irritated that people could tell where we were from right away, but after pondering, we realized that we were quite the mixed little group. A blonde, an African American, a Korean, and a brunette, all traveling together. Hmmm. What country could they be from? And with sneakers and backpacks? Definitely not American.
    However, shopping was amusing. The other girls all got pretty good deals on Italian leather, but I mainly enjoying haggling with the vendors and seeing how low I could get them to drop the price. They were all flirting and claimed they were dropping it just for me, and oh I was in college? They understood, they understood. Their prices were for college students! One said he would give me a discount if I smiled. Charming. Remind me again why I want to give you any of my money?
     My favorite part of Florence was the statues and the architecture. Here I am in front of David, and also by a fountain (I am unsure of the name):



1 comment: