Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Salvador Dalí Museum

Another famous place I can now say I have been to! (And no, Mom, Salvador Dalí is not a mountain).

Our trip to Dalí's hometown of Figueres was overseen by torrential Mediterranean rains. It was my first experience with how disastrous and powerful the rain is here. I heard that in another part of Spain, 5 people died in the flooding. Don't worry though; it wasn't nearly as bad as in Barcelona! Be more concerned about Catalan riots right now.
Anyways. The museum was really cool, literally the imaginings of a crazy (and quite arrogant) person.

Fun fact: Dalí has two tombs. One at the castle he kept for his lover, Gala, and one at his museum. His actual body is in the museum one. Nice choice. 


I can't say that Dalí is an artist whose work I would hang in my house, but it was very interesting to stare at. Take this massive painting, for instance. Up close, it is a woman (Gala, his wife and muse. The one with the castle). 


Back up, and BAM! It's Abraham Lincoln!


This is just one of the weird and slightly disturbing works of Dalí. Here are some others: 


His creepy bed.                                                                           Gala.                                                        
 
 
This one is on a ceiling!

Dali's recreation of Mae West, a sex symbol of the early-to-mid 1900's.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that is certainly interesting art work.

    Not quite something you would find in a traditional home. Also, can't make much sense out of the Mae West sculptures. Thought it was a nostril!

    Glad you were not washed away with the floods, mudslides, and rains, and that you were not blown into the Mediterrenean by the tornado.

    Now that I know where Barcelona is, I can check all these things on a regular basis.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew I think I am getting creepy old man vibes..yes yes yes, he is an amazing artist to be able to paint like that. Still creeps me out! Also to add to Mrs. Caulway's comment, glad you were not trampled by protestors!

    ReplyDelete