Friday, October 26, 2012

Paella

This blog post is way overdue. I recently mentioned that my favorite place in Barcelona is Ciutadella. Well, my favorite food in Barcelona is paella. How clichè. But so necessary.
I don't really know how to describe it, but Wikipedia says: "Valencian rice dish that originated in its modern form in the mid-19th century." Most of what you find here, for obvious reasons, is seafood paella, or paella marisco. They usually cook it in an enormous cast iron pan and bring it to the table and serve it to each person right there, or you serve yourself.
       Another thing I love about Spanish food is the Menú del dia. Basically, you have to find a tiny little restaurant with a handwritten menu of the day, and that's where you will find the best food and the best deal. So far, my favorite one here is called Scorpio. It is 10.50 euros and you get a drink, amazing paella (for an appetizer), an entree, dessert, and bread. You can find cheaper menú del dias than that (I have seen them as low as 8.50) but the guys at Scorpio are super nice and patient and the food is awesome.



To give you an idea of how we feel about it, when Kelsey, Amber and I were in Paris, we kept saying, "I want paella!"
 Well. If we couldn't even do three days without missing our paella, then American food is going to be a cold hard reality an a couple of months. 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I am afraid that the Hanson Road kitchen might not measure up to your new standards!

    Perhaps you can find a cooking class at night and come back and cook for us!

    My understanding is that the Assumption chefs take requests (talk to Sharon); perhaps you can convince them to try the paella.

    You may never again be able to enjoy Kraft Mac and Cheese!

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you all should take a cooking class, that would be so fun! Maybe ask someone for the recipe? Since you're learning to cook pasta and other delicious things now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really tempted to find a cooking class hehe. Paella is so wonderful!
    and Mom, I wish you could taste paella and other Spanish food! most of it would kill you. Dad would appreciate it though

    ReplyDelete