Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Let's get historical.

My decision to take two art classes which count none whatsoever towards my degree has actually ended up being awesome. There is nothing more enriching than an education you are actually living in.

Back home, we learn about the Roman Empire. I'm learning about that here, too. The difference is I go and visit the ancient Roman remains as they were centuries ago. See below:


These columns are from a temple back when Barcelona was first founded as the Roman city of Barcino. They were discovered in 1830 and preserved since then. This little piece of history is actually quite hidden; we saw it thanks to the Barri Gótic tour with AIFS. To think that these are the originals and they are in Barcelona is surreal. The last thing I expected to see when studying abroad in this city was Roman ruins. Apparently I have a lot to learn.

Speaking of the Gothic quarter of Barcelona, this is allegedly the most photographed picture in the city. It is a little bridge between the cathedral complex and the government buildings that would have been used in medieval times.


And that, my friends, is one of the coolest things about living in Barcelona-Roman ruins! As you probably guessed, the name "Barcelona" comes from the original Roman city, "Barcino". I live in the L'Eixample District, which is Catalan for "expansion." It makes sense because it wasn't until 1854 when the old medieval walls were actually torn down so the city could grow. All of these pictures of the ancient stuff, they are from the Barri Gótic Quarter. 
         That part of the city happens to be my favorite. Whenever you walk through the streets, you can feel the difference between them and the modern roads. They are much smaller and more unique than the square blocks that are the L'Eixample. I love that I am getting to know the Gothic quarter of this city so much, and that I have the opportunity to learn about it and understand it. My mind still struggles with the concept of ancient history every time I walk into a Gothic cathedral. It is truly spectacular that these beautiful buildings were constructed over decades, stained glass windows hand-made and everything with a purpose and a message. 
       I am so grateful for my art classes here because I get to learn about the buildings I walk by on a regular basis. The first time it hit me was when my professor showed a slide with a picture that I had taken a week or so earlier. "This is part of the Roman wall," she said. When I snapped the photo, I had no idea. But now I can appreciate everything I see here on a more intellectual and enriching level. 
(For reference, it was a picture from my post "Descubriendo un castillo". I was not "discovering a castle." I was, in fact, discovering the Roman wall.) 
I will never stop feeling blessed because of all that I am learning, historically and otherwise. It is not every person that gets the opportunity to live in another country and literally walk through textbooks. What more of an education can I ask for? 





1 comment:

  1. Of course, you would guess that I, also, would never have guessed you would find Roman ruins in Spain. That is actually very awesome!

    To be so close to something so old and significant really is breathtaking.

    It is wonderful your art classes are teaching you so much about what you are viewing - that just brings the walls to life!

    Love the bridge!

    Love reading your blog!

    Love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete