Thursday, November 1, 2012

Breaking my Brain

Well, I certainly have faced a lot of fears living abroad for a semester. To name a few: traveling without Mom and Dad, cooking chicken, getting lost in Barcelona (and other cities), taking public transportation, etc. But I didn't really feel overwhelmed with it all until this past weekend, when I went to El Campamento.

This was a weekend-long retreat with GBU, a group across Catalonia that brings students together for Bible studies. Every Tuesday night, I sit and eat unhealthy snacks with a bunch of friends and we speak in Spanish about Jesus. I have met people from Germany, the Netherlands, other places in the States, England, Australia, Czech Republic, and from Spain. But the majority of this group are international students.
       For the weekend retreat, this was not the case. There were about 60 students in total, 6 of us being international and  only 4 (myself included) not being fluent in Spanish. I had mentally prepared myself for a weekend of total immersion, but no amount of mental pep-talks will satisfy how overwhelming 50 Spanish/Catalan college students in one room will be. The noise was deafening. The games were never-ending. Even if I was fluent, I don't think I could have gotten a word in edgewise.

It was really my first complete cultural experience with other people my age. I learned some games that are typically played at meal times, all loud and involving pounding on the tables and embarrassing each other. I discovered how beautiful Christian songs are when sung in Spanish. I listened to three lectures about Jesus Christ. I understood three lectures about Jesus Christ. 

No matter what language, people have faith. Love. Understanding. And if there is one thing I learned about Spanish people this weekend, it is that they are welcoming. I have noticed it throughout my weeks in Barcelona, but it really rang true when I entered a room full of dozens of people who had never met me before and weren't even from the same country. They were all super friendly and sweet, trying to speak English if I looked confused and speaking slower if I asked them to. At one point, people from different regions stood up in turn so everyone could get acquainted with where people were from. I stood up in the internationals group. I looked to my right and there was a guy holding up a sign in English, that said: "We <3 you." That was an awesome moment.

Despite moments like that, there were certainly many moments at El Campamento where I felt lost. In fact, of all the places I've been, I felt the most homesick after a weekend  of being surrounded by constant Spanish. I stuttered and paused and struggled through pretty much every moment. My mind was itching the whole time; it can be equated to that feeling you get when you forgot something, and you can feel it there; not touching down, simply hovering.
I would hear a sentence and my brain needed to say it in English before I could move on to the next phrase, but of course I had missed it because I was too busy translating the previous one. Learning a language is essentially breaking a barrier in your mind and forcing the muscles to twist in the opposite direction.
My brain broke at El Campamento.
In the last seminar, the presenters played a song in English. I was overjoyed with the 3-minute rest from translating.

Leading up to this weekend, I was nervous. But I kept telling myself, puedo hacerlo. I can do it. That is a phrase that has kept me going for much of study abroad. I came to Spain for the challenge. Going to El Campamento was one of the most exhausting, enriching, educational experiences I have yet to have in Europe. When I finally flopped on my bed on Sunday night, I had the biggest headache and desperately needed to shower (I was too lazy the whole weekend).

But then in Spanish class on Monday, it was easier. When I went to Bible study on Tuesday, I could keep up even with the people who were speaking fast. It all seemed easy in comparison to El Campamento.
Walking around Barcelona, I don't feel so different. I never was, if you get down to the core of it, but now if someone asks me, "¿Hablas español?" I feel confident saying "Yes," instead of, "Yes, a little."

I am nowhere near fluent. That would take years. But my brain has broken, and each step from now on will be a little bit easier because yo se que puedo hacerlo.
I know that I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this the first time, but never had time to comment.

    So happy your brain broke! Again, fantastic choice of words!

    Another step toward being bilingual.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete