Tuesday, December 4, 2012

This is where I went today

So for one of my art classes, our final includes wandering around Barcelona and drawing Gaudí's buildings. Today I went to Casa Mila, or La Pedrera. As I climbed up on the roof and looked around me at the blue Mediterranean sky and the view of Paseig de Gracia, I realized how much I am going to miss Barcelona. It is not every city in the world that you can wake up and go explore a building as amazing as this one.

In truth, by the time I leave, I will not have seen everything Barcelona has to offer. But I know that taking every day and living it to the fullest has made my study abroad experience a fulfilling one. It has not always been easy. Sometimes, when you wake up, you are simply exhausted. It is mind-boggling to me that three days ago I was in the Swiss Alps playing in the snow and devouring the best chocolate in the world, and today I walked around Barcelona under blue skies without a jacket. In two hours I am going to class.

 One of the most challenging things about studying abroad is the constant movement. You don't get the time to absorb everything you have seen and done. I got back from Switzerland at 10 pm Sunday night, and the next morning I was sitting in class listening to a lecture. Same story goes for all of my trips. There is no time to really relax as a study abroad student, which is one of the hardest parts and also one of the most rewarding. You learn to pick yourself up and keep on going even when all you need is a straight two days of sleep and to sit down with some fattening American food and a movie.

But every time you do pick yourself up, re-pack the backpack, and head out into the city, you never regret losing the sleep. I can sleep in America.


1 comment:

  1. Well written and summarized nicely! Still love your style of writing and insight.

    You have grown.

    We are looking forward to your return!

    However, maybe we won't let you sleep in the states either?! Perhaps "the dogs" will wake you (sign the nuisance petition ...)?! Perhaps you will walk along every GWLT trail we've created?! Perhaps it will snow and you will have to snowshoe before it melts!

    There won't be much time for sleep - you will have to re-live every moment of your semeseter abroad by telling us EVERYTHING!!

    So glad you took this opportunity - you were brave!

    Love,
    Mom

    (P.S. Time to prove I am not a robot)

    ReplyDelete